We’re taught saving money is good, right? But for what? Well as a personal finance and travel blog, you miiight just know where I’m going with this. But it’s not all travel! I had some fun with it and came up with huge list. Here’s a list of 100 things you could save up for.
And yes, there’s some basics in here like saving money for retirement. A house, car, and even your dream vacation. But what else should be on a list of things to save up for?
Well, let’s dive in!
Best things to save up for: paying for your next trip
Because I’m a dreamer and am actively checking places off my travel bucket list, I’ll start with travel. Here are different types of travel that are worth saving for.
- Family vacation
- Couples vacation
- Anniversary trip
- The trip you’ve been dreaming about since you were a kid
- Gifting your parents with a family trip
- Trip to see favorite sports’ team play
- A mega trip around the world
We’ll get to more fun stuff later. Here are more practical things you might want to be saving for.
Saving up for an emergency fund
We all know life happens and unexpected situation arise. Well many of those can be expensive! While there are a bazillion reasons why saving up for an emergency fund is a great idea, here are some that make the most sense.
- Emergency fund
- You lose your job
- New refrigerator (or other appliance)
- Car repairs
- Health issues
- Getting new brakes
- Pet surgery
- A new mattress
Other practical things you should be saving up for
I mean, you probably didn’t think I could create an article about saving money without mentioning retirement, right? Retirement is at the top of the list of practical things you want to save for!
- Health expenses when you’re older and need long-term medical care ( like a nursing home)
- New car
- Spouse/partner’s new car
Ahhh, saving money. Seems like everyone wants to save money for their next car, house, vacation, or other large expense. I’m always looking for new ways to save money for my next travel adventure. Right now I’m dreaming of the beautiful beaches of St. Criox and it’s not cheap!
Things to save up for related to your home
Being a homeowner can be expensive with a capital ‘E!’ But saving now for upcoming projects and maintenance can help you tackle that ever-growing to-do list!
- Down payment for a house
- Buying your house with cash (whaaaaat?)
- That fantastic new kitchen table you’ve been eyeing
- Bathroom remodel
- Master suite expansion
- A new garden
- In-ground swimming pool
- Outdoor shed
- New lawn mower (or robot lawn mower)
- Finish your basement
- Getting your carpets cleaned
- Getting your windows cleaned
- New furniture
- New TV
- Robot vacuum
- A home security system
- Paint the exterior of your home (finally time to get that fun colored door you’ve always wanted)
- New furnace
- New water heater
- Updated windows
- New roof
- Literally any other home maintenance that might pop up
Alright, let’s get back to the fun stuff for a bit!
It’s updating all. the. time. If you’re big into technology, you’ll want to make sure you factor this into your savings goals.
- New phone
- New computer/laptop
- Camera equipment
- Really any other kind of new tech you’re into
Fun things to save up for: hobbies & recreation
Having fun can get expensive! Better start saving up for these so you can buy when the time is right.
- Electric scooter
- An RV
- A boat
- ATV, jet ski or other sporty toy
- A hot tub
- Camping gear
- Equipment to start your own winery or brewery
- Power tools
- Season tickets to you/your significant other’s favorite team games
- Tickets to a big movie premier or Hollywood awards show
- New gaming system
- Powered paraglider
- Whatever other hobby gear and supplies you desire
Treat your money like the tool that it is! You should get to tell your money, that you work hard for, what it should do for you. Want to go on the most epic beach vacation ever? Money will get you there. Want to be debt-free and not owe a single thing to anyone?
Mega bucket list activity
Aside from your travel bucket list, start dreaming about other big things you want to do in life. Then save up for them!
- Superbowl tickets
- Going to the Olympics
- World Cup
Alright as fun as that was to dream, let’s knock it back down a notch for more practical things to save up for.
More things to save up for: annual payments
Lots of times you can pay for something annually and get a better discount than paying for it monthly. Or the expense is high enough that you don’t want it to surprise you and throw off your budget. It’s helpful to save up for them in advance.
- Annual car registration
- Annual membership fees, like Amazon Prime
- Life insurance
Health and appearance things that you might want to save for now
You do you! Sometimes you’ll want to make changes to your health and appearance that will cost you a chunk of change. Here are some examples.
- Teeth aligners for your best smile
- Vision surgery
- Laser hair surgery
- Other elective surgery like plastic surgery
- Large tattoo
- Home gym
- New bicycle
Things to save up for: having kids!
I mean, nobody ever said having kids was cheap. Saving up to have a baby is only the beginning.
- Having a baby
- Fertility treatment
- Kids college funds
- Back to school shopping
- Swing set for your kids
- Kids birthday parties
- Fancy kids toys, like a power wheels
- Kids sports and activities
- New Christmas tree
- New pet (equally for you and your kids, obvi)
Saving up for your future
Aside from retirement, there’s plenty of things you might want to save for related to your future.
- Going back to college
- Further training to advance your career
- An online class or training to start a business
- Equipment for your side hustle
- Supplies to start an Etsy shop
- Real estate investment property
To better the world
Here are some fun ideas to save up your money to help others.
- Start a scholarship fund
- Make a big impact in a charity through a large donation
- Help to bring water to those born in regions who don’t have it
More fun things to save up for: lavish items
Let’s go big or go home here! A few things that you’ll want to save for if you want to live an extravagant life might be:
- A horse and stable
- Vacation home
- Private island
- An airplane
Saving money is important. Hopefully this list is evidence that you can save up for fun stuff or the practical (and sometimes boring) stuff, too.
Now, what are you saving for? Drop it in the comments below!